Sunday, October 13, 2013

All Night Happy Hour at Village Tavern


Nothing beats throwing back a few choice drinks with friends on a Friday night! I've been a touch stressed as of late, and after losing my unofficial photographer for the blog, I needed to be surrounded by the KTG gang to vent, take a crash course in photography, and suggestions for a new camera.

So we ended up at Village Tavern one Friday night, hanging out and trying their signature cocktails at half off while noshing on bar chow, and then some.


With its cozy interiors, laid-back crowd and excellent food selection, Village Tavern is the perfect hangout to end the day on a high note. The restaurant has a full beverage menu that nicely complements the small plates and appetizers they have to offer.


When the bar chow came out, I went straight for the Spicy Garlic Chicken Wings (P225). The deep-fried chicken flat wings were coated with a sweet and tangy Teriyaki sauce and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. The glaze was pretty delicious and I loved how it was sweet, sour, and tangy all the same time. I just wished the breading actually stuck to the chicken - it kept slipping off!


Looking for a bit of spice, I made a beeline for Village Tavern's Homemade Jalapeño Poppers (P350) - breaded cream cheese and bacon stuffed jalapeño peppers are deep fried 'til golden and served with an equally spicy tomato sauce. Fortunately, most of the foodie fambam are averse to most things hot and spicy because I couldn 't stop pop-pop-popping them in my face hole. The texture is quite soft, like a fried cheese ball, with a very spicy center. I couldn't even taste the bacon at that point - my mouth was on fire!


Everyone loved the Crispy Clams with Spicy Lemon Dip (P375)! The crunchy nibbles of baby clams is served with a spicy lemon dip, so like the popper you have a range of different flavors and textures all happening at the same time.


Of course, a ton of drinks were ordered, with only a quarter actually being finished. On the table were glasses of Tavern Mojitos (P150), Banana Drops (150), V-Teas (P175), Tavern Margaritas (P175), Honey Berry (P220), Red Sangria (Glass - P175, Pitcher P595), and White Sangria (Glass - P175, Pitcher P595). I had a glass of Red Sangria, which was sweet and fruity with a bit of tartness from the red wine. I wanted to order another glass, but I was afraid I'd be stumbling out of the restaurant later that night.


Who would've ever thought that the salad would be the highlight of my meal? I love, love ,love Village Tavern's Thai Chicken Salad (P475). The Seasonal greens, cabbage, and crisp wontons make for the base giving it a lot of texture and crunch. This is topped with edamame, cucumber, and slices of chicken,tossed in lime-cilantro dressing and drizzled with some Thai peanut sauce. Personally, if I were to order only one thing on their menu, this would probably be it.


We also enjoyed the Tavern Flatbread (P475), made with a homemade spicy tomato sauce,thin slices of pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, hamburger bits, caramelized onions, and Mozzarella cheese. This felt like eating a healthier version of pizza. Is there a healthier version of pizza?


Everyone at the table seemed to go gaga over the Cowboy Burger (P595) - including me! The big fat, meaty bun was topped with Applewood-smoked bacon, Cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, all with a splodge of barbecue sauce, lovingly sandwiched in between brioche buns.


I was surprised to discover the Snapper Hemmingway (Regular - P550, Sharing - P750) was actually a pasta dish. The fresh fillet of snapper is sautéed with a bit of white wine and lemon and then tossed in with some tomatoes, and capers, served over angel hair pasta. Definitely a healthier version of the usual calorific tomato or cream based pasta dishes, this tasted light, and mildly salty from the capers, which married with the flavors of the snapper nicely.


Dessert was not to be outdone, with a bread pudding type of dessert served a la mode. I didn't get to taste this as I took my sweet time, thinking there''d still be a little bit left for me. The lesson here is to never underestimate the appetites of the KTG gang. Haha!

When mucking around Bonifacio High Street, end your night on a high note by spending it with a few rounds of drinks - preferably with friends - at Village Tavern! Cheers!


Just mucking around Manila,


www.muckingaroundmanila.com
Follow @_muckingaround on Twitter and Instagram.
Like the Mucking Around Manila fan page.


Village Tavern
+63 2 621 3245
2/F Bonifacio High Street Central, 7th Ave
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig
Open Daily: 11am - 11pm