Friday, February 8, 2013

Project: Overcome Domestic Entropy!


My blog has been on hiatus for around a month while I took some time to go on a proper vacation, recharge my batteries, catch up on my shows, spend some quality time with my dog, and gear up for the new year. I've also doing a bit of research online learning about how to be a bit more domestic, since I tend to be so busy flitting from one place to another that my old apartment ended up just being a total mess - unwashed plates in the sink, a dirty floor, my laundry all higgledy-piggledy (I couldn't tell what was clean and what wasn't) - and it got to a point where I just didn't want to stay at home anymore, it was so untidy!

It's embarrassing, I admit it, but living in a country where you grew up with a maid cooking and cleaning after you everywhere you went, and with a lot of young working professionals still living at home with mom and dad 'til they marry (heck, some even stay on after marriage and bring the wife and kids to move into the bedroom they never grew out of), my state isn't as uncommon as it may seem.

Enter Project: Overcome Domestic Entropya.k.a. Get Your Shiz Together!

Domestic Entropy is described on Urban Dictionary:

Rather than compress into small spaces, items tend to redistribute to evenly fill all available space (the Stuffed Animal Effect). Rather than organize into separate, homogeneous, classifiable and finite collections, items tend to mix into heterogenous open sets (the Junk Drawer Effect). Even if they are not used, without intervention items and surfaces inevitably get dirtier and not cleaner (the Crunchy Towel Effect). Partially enclosed items left unobserved for an extended period will, when retrieved for use, contain one or more dead bugs (the Cuisinart Effect). Attempts to organize specific areas will always result in some other area becoming less organized (the Spare Linen Effect).
If you live by yourself or share an apartment with a flatmate who's as scatterbrained as you are, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Paying a maid to come in every week to help you clean, and staying at home for 3 hours to watch her work and to make sure she puts everything back in its proper place is just such a huge waste of energy, time, and money.

Having moved around a lot for the past five years, this pattern has happened again, and again, and again, not just with me, but the other people I used to share a place with. The common denominator? We're all single, go home to just sleep and shower, and don't have make the time to tidy up and organize our living space.


I wouldn't call myself a domestiphobe, but this year I've been mysteriously motivated to get my shiz together and sharing my time-saving, organizing tips and trick here - some of it I learned from stalking other people's blogs and YouTube videos, some of them is just common sense advice that makes you go, "Why on Earth didn't I think of that?"

I may not be able to take your hand and lead you to the organizational promised land... but I'll give it my best shot. If you have any suggestions or tips, please let me know as well!


Just mucking around Manila,



www.muckingaroundmanila.com
Follow @_iamkathi on Twitter and Instagram.
Like the Mucking Around Manila fan page.