Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Loving Everything About Missha Philippines


I now have a new beauty addiction. Oh noes!

I was invited by Missha Philippines to their Tiendesitas branch a couple of weeks back, to get schooled in everything Missha by the lovely owner, Noemi. Totally floored that the owner herself would be giving the crash course, it was an opportunity not to be missed. Like most Korean beauty brands, I love that Missha focuses on using organic ingredients in their products, as they believe that going the natural route is better than using harsh chemicals that end up aging you in the long run and harming the environment.

The Korean beauty boutique came about as a response for the need for quality skin care products and cosmetics at reasonable prices. The Missha name grew out of the constant support of their client base, and because of the Missha loyalists, the brand has been able to expand to countries such as the U.S., Singapore, the U.A.E., and the Philippines.

It was an interesting afternoon, to say the least. I learnt a lot about the Korean skin care regime (which is why even the guys have baby soft skin), Korean make-up (that fresh, no-make up look), and the benefits of using their very popular BB Cream. BB wuuut?


BB Cream, otherwise known as Blemish Balm Cream, is reported to have come from Germany where dermatologists would recommend it to patients who were healing from laser skin surgery. The idea of using BB Cream was then taken to the next level by Korean celebrities who, after going under the knife and it leaving tell-tale marks, discovered and started using the wonder cream  because of its characteristic soothing and skin-regenerating properties. The Korean cosmetic companies got wind of it and realized the business potential, so they adapted the technology and started making their own formulas, making it available to the general public. You gotta love 'em Koreans and their advances in the beauty industry.

I got myself Missha's M Perfect Cover BB Cream #31 (P1,600 for 50ml). This BB Cream actually comes in four shades, #21 being the lightest, but I opted to get the darkest once because the gold tint just made my tan a lot nicer, and because I'm five-shades darker compared to the same time last year. Most BB Creams I had tried before made me look pasty, but this one gives me a bit of color, which I like. The SPF is hardcore, bragging an SPF 42 PA+++ cover, although I find it a bit too thick to apply as is in our tropical weather. I thin it out a bit by mixing it with a primer or moisturizer.

I like the no-makeup look since I don't put much on to begin with, and the combination of the White Eyeliner Pencil (P199) and Missha's Pearl Eyeliner, an invisible eyeliner with shimmer, makes you look like you got 12 hours of beauty rest when you actually barely got in three.

I stocked up on Missha's Pure Source Pomegranate Sheet Mask (P150) mainly because it was so cheap! The pomegranate mask helps to vitalize and firm dull skin, and it's done wonders the few times I've used it. Using masks has now become a part of my beauty ritual, thanks to Missha. I'll probably use the Tea Tree and Lemon sheet masks next. They also have a Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Hydro Gel Mask (P299), which I'll stock up on for when I hit the beach.

My last great Missha find is the Lucid Nail Polish (P199). I've been looking for this shade of greenish-blue that I can only describe as "spring-y" when salesladies ask what I'm looking for. "It's this greenish color that was really hot last year, really spring-y?" I give up after they hand me a pot of neon green nail polish. Imagine my surprise to find it at a quaint little store inside the Hypermart at Tiendesitas?

I am now a Missha convert, not only because of their affordable products, but because of their excellent customer service. I'm such a stickler for good service, and I found it in Missha, probably because Noemi is all about personal customer service herself. Her staff is quite knowledgeable about the products they sell and I appreciate that they don't try to hard-sell their most expensive creams or cosmetics, but are simply there to assist and help you pick out the best products that would best complement you and your skin type.


Missha Philippines
Inside SM Supercenter Pasig, Frontera Verde,
C5, Brgy. Ugong, Pasig City